Monday we took down the first of the cured garlic from the barn rafters and began to prepare it for storage/sale. We used scissors to cut off the tops and trim the roots, then peeled away just enough of the outer wrappers to get clean and presentable heads. The Spanish Roja couldn’t have turned out better, large and symmetrical and averaging close to four ounces apiece.
Because the Roja has a reddish clove that often makes the head look, well, a bit dingy, we bought and planted some porcelain garlic to see if it might be more attractive for making garlic braids. It did turn out whiter, but the heads were much smaller, so much so that we won’t be using it for braids and probably won’t plant much if any next year.
On Tuesday we used twenty pounds of our garlic to fill the order for Good Foods in Lexington. It was our first commercial produce sale, and Maggie thought we needed to commemorate the occasion with a photo.